Thomas Edison is the holder of 1,093 patents. The lightbulb, phonograph, and motion picture camera were all the results of his experiments that changed the course of human history.
Not all his experiments were as successful for Edison. He had a unique view of his projects that didn’t quite work out the way that he expected. He said, “I have not failed 10,000 times. I’ve successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work.”
Many of us “give up trying” because something is too hard, takes too long or is boring.
But what if you stuck with it?
There is a very well-know Physical Medium who sat regularly in his cabinet for over 20 years waiting for the Spirits to use his energy to create physical phenomena. One day, he had enough and committed to being done with this physical mediumship stuff. As he got up and out of his chair, he heard a knock on the cabinet wall. From that day forward, he sat in silence no more. He went on to become an exceptional Physical Medium, mentor and teacher to many in the UK.
There are many things that we want to do, but our motivation just doesn’t seem like its up to the task. This is simply a matter of a lazy brain. In your life, you have trained your brain to create the habit of “give up when it’s boring, hard or taking too long.” It’s programmed into your subconscious from past experiences, so that every time you try something new, your subconscious confirms the past habit, and it overrides your desire.
How do we get past it?
- Talk to your subconscious in those moments you want to give up.
- Recognize that it is just your past programming and not you in this moment.
- Say, “This is not me. This is my subconscious mind.”
- Thank your subconscious mind for all that it does in keeping you safe but I need you to please work in the background now.
- Continue on with your project, taking it slowly, creating a new pattern and finding more joy in doing it.
- If the subconscious wants to interrupt you, repeat the process.
It may take a few tries, but your subconscious is just doing it’s job. You just have to change the outdated program it is running.
I’m changing my script as I head off to do my financials, a task that is not my favorite.